A guest post from Gloria:
Ground Beef Stuffed Bell Peppers
I was so excited to get green bell peppers in my Brewers Organics produce box this week! I loved when my aunt made stuffed peppers when I was little and was excited to try it on my own for the first time. Unfortunately, I don’t have her recipe, so I had to do some research to make my own. We added a few extra things and it was absolutely delicious! I will definitely be keeping this recipe in my box for future meals.
- 6 organic green bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- About 8 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 organic tomatoes, chopped (from my Brewer’s Organics box)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (I used this from my garden)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked long or medium-grain white rice
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop the peppers in until they are tender, about 2-3 minutes. Drain upside down on paper towels. (I did this in two batches)
- Prepare rice according to package.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, bacon, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, salt and black pepper. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon, about 6 minutes. Add the rice and tomato sauce and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Place the bell peppers upright in a baking or casserole dish. Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture and pour just enough water into the dish just to cover the bottom.
- Bake until the peppers are very tender – about 25 to 30 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes, I added some parmesan cheese to the tops of the peppers.