Basic Vegetable Soup Recipe
You can make wonderful vegetable soup from any vegetables using this method. You can modify this recipe based on what you have on hand from your produce box!
(1) Olive oil (or any other oil or fat)
(2) Aromatics (such as onion, garlic, celery, carrot)
(3) Diced mixed veggies (you can also add rice or small pasta towards the middle of cooking the soup)
Leftover cooked meat from last nights dinner? You can dice that and add it in also towards the end of cooking (optional)
(1) Saute your onion and/or garlic in the heated oil until soft (do not brown).
(2) Add any other aromatics and saute several minutes. Add any additional diced veggies and saute another few minutes. I usually add a bit of salt in with the diced veggies to help them cook and release their natural juices.
(3) Add enough broth to cover the vegetables (I prefer making broth with organic Better Than Bouillon beef base and water). Add in any herbs you desire such as rosemary and thyme.
(4) Cook over a low boil until the vegetables are tender. If desired, you can cook rice or pasta for the soup separately or add it in towards the middle of cooking the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To create some different textures and flavor, I like to mash some of the cooked veggies in the soup with a potato masher and finish the soup by stirring in some parmesan cheese. Any leftovers can be frozen.
Originally posted on christineiscooking.com