A guest post from fitness blogger Ashley:
It’s very important to properly fuel your body before every workout. Almost all cases when a client starts to feels nauseous or light headed during a session came down to the simple fact that they didn’t eat anything or they didn’t eat enough to get them through the workout. Once they feel better, they usually admit to the fact that they didn’t want to feel sick from eating too much so they didn’t eat anything.
With that said, it is important to try to eat 30 minutes to an hour before your workout. There is a range for this because every body is different. Some feel sick if they eat too close to workouts and others can eat right before they start and not be effected by it at all. A good rule of thumb is it is always better to eat something rather than nothing. Not eating enough can affect the intensity and duration of your workout as well as how much energy you sustain throughout.
So here is a list of ideas for pre workout snacks. They are all easy to prepare and they will give you just what you need to work hard and feel energized the whole time. It is also important to eat foods that are easy for the body to digest. Depending on how long your workout is, you may need to eat another small snack, especially endurance workouts such as running.
Pre Workout Snack Ideas:
- 1 tbsp. Peanut/Almond Butter and Banana
- 1 Waffle and 1 tbsp. Peanut Butter
- 1 serving Rolled Oats and 1 serving of Berries
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread
- Greek Yogurt with 1 serving of Fruit (watch the sugar content in the yogurt)
- String Cheese and 1 serving Whole Wheat Pretzels
- Protein Shake (if you are into taking supplements, your body will absorb these pretty quickly. Make sure you look at the nutrition facts of these types of supplements.)
- Scrambled Eggs/Egg Whites with Toast/Bagel
Your body is an amazing machine. It will do whatever it has to do to get you through whatever you’re doing even if it doesn’t have all the right fuel. That is why it is important to get the most out of your workout and eat right depending on what your exercise of choice is for that day. If you have to eat closer to your workout than you would’ve liked just eat a smaller snack. Listen to your body, it usually does a good job telling you when it needs something. Have a great week and drink a lot of water 🙂